Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Fingers Hurt!


Beautiful day on the farm y’all!  Low 70’s, sunny with a light breeze.  We are doing our best to enjoy it while we can. After a morning spent picking daffodils and tulips, we enjoyed some succulent leftover ribs for lunch (see Dylan’s post on beef and flowers).  But farming isn’t all flowers and sunshine.
It's Always Sunny in My Room
For four glorious hours, Steph and I picked rocks out of the Abyss (one of our seven fields, which includes our new property, official as of yesterday).  As most of you know, rocks provide no nutritional value to plants, displace organic matter in the soil and basically suck in general- except when they’re at the British Natural History Museum.  The last time I picked rocks out of a field was in 8th grade for a friend’s parents in Mazomanie, Wisconsin.  I vaguely remember coming out $20 richer, but I will never again put baby oil on my skin before spending an afternoon in the sun. 

I didn’t burn my skin off this time, but my fingers hurt!  Digging those SOB’s out of hardened soil is no fun.  Steph and I passed the time quoting our favorite movies, discussing our shared passion and strange satisfaction that is gained by throwing and talking to the rocks – we went a little delusional at times.  We piled up anything bigger than the size of a golf ball, then took the Cushman around to collect them and finally dumped them into the ever-growing rock piles around the fields.  There will be pictures to come, but I can barely type, let alone walk and take pictures of rocks; I’m sure you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment